Many of my friends recommended I start watching the popular TV show Shark Tank.
This show is extremely interesting to entrepreneurs and small business owners and provides a real time pitch by a business owner for investment in their company or venture. The sharks, self made multimillionaire tycoons, choose whether to invest their own money in the deal.
I was mainly intrigued by two aspects:
- What the sharks would ask and respond to pitches
- Businesses the sharks decided to invest in
So naturally after watching a few Shark Tank episodes I went on over to trusty Amazon to see whether these esteemed sharks are published.
Of course they are! They know very well that part of your personal brand includes publishing a book. They have also identified the need to publish on Kindle.
Shark Tank Investor’s Kindle Books
I was surprised though to discover the great difference between some of the books both in terms of sales, rankings and use of the Amazon Platform.
The first thing I noticed was that “Mr Wonderful” (Kevin O ‘Leary) is no where in sight. I had to search pretty hard to find his book Cold Hard Truth: On Business, Money & Life.
It’s time to take a closer look. Of all the Sharks only Daymond John has a fully completed Amazon Author Central Page which makes perfect sense as Daymond is a branding mogul.
Funnily enough, most of the sharks didn’t tag their books or optimize them for a “shark tank” search.
Shark Kindle Pricing
You may also see a vast difference in quality and approach in the shark’s published Kindle Editions. The pricing is all over the place.
- Mark Cuban took the lazy approach and used his blog as the content for his book How to Win at the Sport of Business: If I Can Do It, You Can Do It and priced $4.51
- Barbara Corcoran published a real book (though very similar to her previous book) titled Shark Tales: How I Turned $1,000 into a Billion Dollar Business $11.69
- Daymond John priced The Brand Within at $11.99
- Kevin O Leary upholds his capitalistic persona by charging a whopping $18.47 for his Kindle edition of Cold Hard Truth: On Business, Money & Life.
Ranking the Sharks on Kindle – Who is Selling?
Aside from this telling price difference, the shark’s Kindle Product pages are poorly optimized. The lower your Amazon Sales rank the more slaes you are making. Kinlde sales rank changes hourly. Natural selection takes their sales rank to:
#1 – Mark Cuban – Kindle Sales rank – Under 1500
#2 – Barbara Corcoran – Kindle Sales rank – Under 28,000
#3 – Daymond John – Kindle Sales rank – Under 94,000
#4 – Kevin O Leary – Kindle Sales Rank – Over 100,000
Of course the Sharks aren’t getting rich off publishing with Kindle, though it is interesting to see how much people really like and listen to them.
Have you read the Shark’s Kindle Books? Share your comments below!
Latest posts by Shira (see all)
- Your Book As Your Business Card - June 29, 2015
- Kindle Unlimited Sales Royalty Structure Changes Affect You - June 16, 2015
- Kindle Book Pricing Psychology – How to Price Your Book - June 5, 2015
- Think Twice Before Publishing a Book Series to Kindle… - June 1, 2015
- “Will Self Publishing Your Book on Multiple Sites Hurt You?” - May 6, 2015