Guardian Angels Help 92 year old Senile, Computer Illiterate Veteran Publish his Book to Kindle
Around a month ago I was contacted for Kindle coaching by a very special person. She was helping her father in law realize his dream, leave a digital legacy for his kids and grandkids.
There was only one problem, he didn’t own a computer and was in her words “getting senile”.
To top it off she could hardly turn her own computer on and had no idea about anything digital except getting Skype to work (thankfully).
Now Hank lives in San Diego and his daughter in law on the north east coast. Taking into account a 10 hour world trip time difference between all of us, what happened next was nothing short of a miracle.
You see once a year I take on a good karma project. Helping someone who doesn’t have a chance in H3ll to get published on their own.
Here are some of the hurdles we faced:
- How to get the book file off a pen drive and email it to me. Let’s start with explaining what a USB pen drive is, what the book file should look like, how to plug in a pen drive to a computer, get the file and email it. This entailed 3 phone calls, a trip to fedex and presto it was done in record time.
- Phone call with Hank (he stayed up till 10 PM on Friday night to talk to me). Only after speaking with Hank did I realize how special he is and why so many people find themselves helping him.
- Assembling, scanning and sending images – 3 takes, 2 trips to fedex, 5 email messages (a total of 2 neighbors, a helper and his daughter in law) and it was done in two days.
- Finding the passwords for Amazon and Gmail accounts – now that’s a doozy, several days and emails later….. mostly done.
- Finding a suitable image , getting it scanned and sent for the cover – hours of rummaging, 2 trips to fedex, 3 emails from neighbors and helpers, and it was done.
- Writing the book description, rewriting the book title, formatting the book and publishing it to Kindle – To spread the good karma my good friend and colleague Don Grace (who is a world class copywriter) donated some of his time to write the book description (check it out here – http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T256IG4 )
Now Hank got a very special gift for his birthday which is today. He is published on Amazon Kindle.
And I have to tell you his book is intriguing, controversial and contains a ton of fascinating stories:
- About flying over Japan dropping bombs 14 times as a B-29 Air force pilot in World War II.
- About being stationed in Roswell and everything that went on there.
- Survivalist training he went through to fight the Russians.
- How it felt to get ready for the cold war.
- And so much more…
The minute I finished reading it for the first time, I immediately called up several friends and told them they just have to get their hands on this book as soon as it’s published because it’s such a gem.
Get it now, read it, and leave him a review. Imagine how delighted he will be!
Spread the good karma because it can easily come back to you.
Now I ask you, If a 92 year old senile war veteran, who doesn’t own a computer, has no idea what a digital file is publishes his book to Kindle, why haven’t you?
All it takes is an email and a Skype phone call to get your publishing date on the map.
Latest posts by Shira (see all)
- Your Book As Your Business Card - June 29, 2015
- Kindle Unlimited Sales Royalty Structure Changes Affect You - June 16, 2015
- Kindle Book Pricing Psychology – How to Price Your Book - June 5, 2015
- Think Twice Before Publishing a Book Series to Kindle… - June 1, 2015
- “Will Self Publishing Your Book on Multiple Sites Hurt You?” - May 6, 2015